Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Gilbert & George - "The Thoughts of Gilbert & George" Vinyl, LP, Album, Spoken Word, Limited Edition (MoMA)


I'm very much of a veggie-meat & potatoes type of chap, and I think of Gilbert & George the same, with respect to their stance and art.  Ever since I was a teenager, I have followed this duo in all of their work, and sudden u-turns, and their ability to remain British to the core.   I also have a deep curiosity about how artists work together or collaborate on specific art pieces.  To this day, the more time I spend with Gilbert & George, the less I know about them.  They're a complete mystery to me.  

They have lived in East London for decades, and reportedly they eat at their local caff (cafe), which I think is part of their building or right next door. Legend has it that they purchased the local restaurant, and eat there every day.   They have a work ethic going, where they are in their building/studio every day, and consistently making art.  One can presume that they are a couple or lovers, but I'm not even sure if that's the case or not.  All I know is that I love them.

This is very much a spoken word album, with a song "Underneath The Arches"  The focus of the album and Gilbert & George's obsession is this British  1930's era Depression pop song.  It's a lovely tune.  They found the recording in a second-hand shop, and bingo, it becomes an essential performance piece by the duo.   It's a beautiful song about dreaming upward when everything is pretty much hell.  Gilbert & George generally deal with oppression due to politics, sexual mores, and culture. For fifty years their theme has been consistent, although their artwork has changed or they use different mediums, they are still a unique work of art.  I say that because they treat themselves as objects and whatever they do it becomes a work of art or an art object.  

"The Thoughts of Gilbert & George" is them talking about their aesthetic, but even that itself is an art piece.  That, and their focus on "Underneath The Arches" makes this album remarkable 

No comments:

Post a Comment