Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 18, 2018

T. Rex -"T. Rex" Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 1970/2016 (Reprise Records)


Where have I been for the last 40 or so years? I purchased "Electric Warrior" and "The Slider" numerous times over the years, yet, I somehow missed "T. Rex."   I just recently purchased it, and this album is incredible.   At the moment it's my favorite T. Rex album, and to hear something new from a band that I thought I knew... And to be honest I don't know the recordings Bolan made with Steve Took - so that's another avenue I need to explore.  But now...  What impresses me about the album is the songwriting is superb, as well as the performance.  The minimal sound of Bolan's guitar work, but with the added textures from Tony Visconti's production, is a great combination.   In fact, I think this may be Visconti's best work in the studio, sound wise.  Sun Records is surely the model to study from, and Bolan, Mickey Finn, and Visconti studied very well under the beauty of that Memphis label.   Also noted the king of the big sound (for Queen among others) Roy Thomas Baker was the engineer.  

Also, as far as I know, I don't think there are any drums on this album, just percussion work from Finn.   Yet, the sound is full, and Visconti's tasteful use of strings here and there is a loving campanion to Bolan's croon.   If like me, and you overlooked this album, get it now.  Bolan is the real deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment