Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Pink Floyd - "Masters of Rock" Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Netherlands, 1974 (Columbia)


Finding the songs that are not on, or never appeared on a regular Pink Floyd album is a consumer's game in trying to find the right record or fit for the listener.  For my taste, I love Pink Floyd's compilation "Masters of Rock," which is a series of compilations put out by Columbia Records in the 1970s.  For the Syd Barrett fanatic (which I border on in that category) there is "Apples and Oranges" and "Candy and A Current Bun."  "Apples" I believe was only officially released as a single, and I think "Candy, and A Current Bun" was a b-side to another Pink Floyd single.   That's the reason why I bought this album.  Also, it was nice to have both "See Emily Play" and "Arnold Layne" on one disc.  The rest of the Syd songs all come from the first Pink Floyd album, which of course is a masterpiece. 

The big surprise for me, and I have to let readers know that I pretty much don't know anything about post-Syd Floyd, are the songs "It Would Be So Nice" and "Paint Box," both by the keyboard player and sung by Richard Wright.  Incredibly solid and even if I may add fantastic pop songs.   Why wasn't "It Would Be So Nice" a huge hit at the time?  As I write, the chorus sticks to my brain like oatmeal to the guts.  The ultimate psych-pop tune that is authentically psychedelic.  "Paint Box" another fantastic tune, that is a song diary.  Wright, I think, at least at this period, is underrated as a songwriter. How did he lose his position in Pink Floyd to Roger Waters?  Who by the way also has a fantastic song "Julia Dream."  But still, I was shocked at how strong the songs are by Wright.  My question out there, are there other fantastic songs by Wright on later Pink Floyd albums?  Is his solo album any good?

The beauty of a compilation is not only getting the hits, but the undiscovered b-side or the 45 rpm single that didn't become a hit, yet, still, a fantastic record.    "Masters of Rock" is a mind-opener for me.   



No comments:

Post a Comment