Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Richard Wagner/George Szell, The Cleveland Orchestra - "Wagner Showpieces" Vinyl, Album, 1967 (Columbia Masterworks)


Unfiltered and pure Richard Wagner.   In no fashion in my life at this moment can I sit down or watch an entire Wagner opera.  One, I could care less for him, but on the other hand, I'm in love with "Prelude and Love-Death from Tristan and Isolde."  The intensity builds, releases a bit and builds again.  It never let's go and it's like standing on the ledge of a building and thinking about jumping.  But you don't!   "Tannhäuser Overture" and "Die Meistersinger Prelude" are just perfect melodic pieces of clouds floating over one's soul and ears.  

I bought this album for a dollar and to me, it's worth seven times that amount.  I even like the album cover.  The lightning over nature, just about to give the landscape hell.  Wagner is all about mood, and the overtures and preludes are just enough Wagner for me. I don't need anymore.  I also love Uri Caine's small combo versions of Wagner's set pieces as well.   That and this album is all the Wagner I need.  

No comments:

Post a Comment