Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Cowboys International "Thrash" b/w "Many Times (Revisited)" 45 rpm vinyl single, 1979 (Virgin)


I have this thing about Cowboys International.   I need to own every recording by them, which includes their first album in U.S. and British edition, as well as all the singles that came from the album.  And I need to have it on CD.  The fear I have is that someone will either steal or borrow that album and never give it back.  So like a man who wanders into a market and buys all the bottled water to put in their 'safe room' in case disaster strikes - I feel the same way about Cowboys International's recordings. 

"Thrash" is the first song I have heard from Cowboys International, and it's a record that absorbed my soul.  When I listen to this cut, I feel I become one with it, as the object in front of me, but also the sound and voice of Ken Lockie.   The start of the synth beat that's both primitive and basic cuts through the noise that's inside my head.  Lockie's vocals are relaxed, thoughtful, and worldly.  It reminds me a bit of Morrissey when he's wishful and singing about a particular place.   Lockie writes in a similar mode, but not an actual place, but more of a location in the mind.  Something that sticks to one, because it's part of you.  

The beauty of "Thrash" to me, is a song about not communicating or not connecting to the world. The singer is conveying a world where nothing is being expressed fully, except he puts his arm around your shoulder, and then goes on. The word 'thrash' means to hit, strike, clobber and so forth.  There is this strange juxtaposition of two ideas at the same time.  One is someone giving comfort to another, but in a vague manner and two, the chorus is just the word "Thrash."  I never heard such a beautiful melody attached to a violent word.   Because of the violence and the helpful characteristics of the singer, the song is jarring and pulls the listener in different directions at the same time. 

"When everything not together I put my arms around your shoulder / the words that say won't mean anything/ change the face change everything/ Thrash, Thrash/  There's not one little thing I regret/ to spend my  time walking/ but don't forget the words/ they say won't mean anything / Thrash Thrash." There are no printed lyrics, so this is all due to me hearing the song.  Still, it conveys a singer who may be unbalanced, but again the melody is sad but upbeat.  Or perhaps as he states in the song, 'thrash' "won't mean anything."    The lyrics intrigued me (if I caught them rightfully, and if not, that's interesting as well).  For 38 years I have been thinking about this record.  I love it, but there is more to it, every time I hear it on my computer or on vinyl.  A remarkable piece of work that doesn't have answers, but makes one think about the Albert Camus like a sense of existentialism or being separated from thought and action. 





No comments:

Post a Comment