Total Pageviews

Monday, September 11, 2017

LCD Soundsystem - "American Dream" 2 X Vinyl, LP, Album, 2017 (Columbia/DFA)


To be honest with you, I had a gut reaction or feeling about bands coming from the New York City area in the 21st century.   The feeling is, I've done that and been there.   When I read about bands like LCD Soundsystem, it didn't sound appealing.  Especially when its leader James Murphy started producing bands like Arcade Fire, which is not exactly a passionate love for me, but actually a band I can't stand.  Still, I wonder, is this more of a 'me' problem than an LCD Soundtrack problem.  Listening to their new album "American Dream," I have decided that I'm a music snob, and regional (not) sensitive.  But alas, I have the vinyl of this album, and I blasted it through my speakers, and it's... terrific.

First of all listening to this album, I think of Pulp, David Bowie (Lodger), Talking Heads (Remain in Light), and oddly enough Public Image Ltd.   So yes, in my first listening experience I'm playing the game of 'where have I heard this sound before?"   And it's true, Murphy is obviously a fan of all that I mentioned above, yet, is that a bad thing?   No.  

I can't speak for his other recordings, due that my prejudice stopped me from even hearing one note of the older material.  So "American Dream" is very much the only experience I have with LCD Soundsystem.   First off, this is a fantastic sounding record (on vinyl).   The mix and textures are superb, and Murphy's and the other's melodies are really good.  He doesn't do original, but what he does well is taste.  He has the 'taste' to capture moments from other bands and make it his own, in a fashion.   I do have this snob thing about originality, but fuck that.  I think I found a new category of music that's influenced and very much part of a music's history, but a new work.  It kind of reminds me of how David Sylvian in Japan adopted Erik Satie to one of his songs.  Murphy is smart, and as mentioned, he has a taste. 

The record is also analog-ish, and I suspect Murphy is an instrument junkie. One other thing, even though the inner sleeve shows all eight musicians, this album is basically all James Murphy playing most of the instruments, with maybe two others at a time, helping him out on the recordings.  Nevertheless, there is not a bad cut on the record.   "Call The Police," "American Dream," (especially this song) is good as one can get, and the last track is a sonic beauty "Black Screen" which I suspect is about Bowie's death.  The other groove like here is that three sides have the inner-groove (is that what it's called?) where the song keeps going.  Nice vinyl touch.   Great album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment