Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Holger Czukay - "Der Osten Ist Rot"/Rome Remains Rome" 2 x Vinyl 10", Compilation, UK, 2014 (Grönland Records)


I'm not a total Can virgin, but I do have two Can albums and one Holger Czukay "Movies" LP.  Just recently I found some odd Holger releases that I know very little about, and I suspect that they were originally released as 12" LPs, but recently re-released by Grönland Records (out of Germany) as a trio of 10" double disc sets.   "Der Osten Ist Rot/Rome Remains Rome" is one such set.

I like Can a lot, but I prefer the solo music by Czukay.   Eccentricity rules the aural world, and I'm a huge fan of Czukay's mix-and-match style of music making, where I suspect he uses samples of classical music, voices, and outtakes from Can sessions.   This particular package of music is both catchy, danceable, and experimental in the Musique Concrete style of making music.  There are also moments of great beauty, that is like watching the sunrise or set, and not expecting to see that due that maybe a building or mountain is covering the rise and fall.  "Der Osten Ist Rot/Rome Remains Rome" is a joyful experience from Side A to the end of Side D.  








No comments:

Post a Comment