Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Dan Melchior - "Melpomene" Vinyl, LP, Album, U.S., 2017 (IDEA Records)


"Melpomene" is an album that is hard for me to forget or get off my turntable.  It's a combination of Musique Concrete with beautiful melodies running in-between the cracks of sound and mayhem.  But there are samples (I think) of piano or orchestration that is heard that gives it a moody scary vibe.  What's interesting is that one doesn't know what is going to happen around the corner.  I know nothing of Dan Melchior, but this is not an experimental album of compositions.  I think he knows exactly what he's going for.  The construction of the pieces on "Melpomene" is constructed like a fine building. The only other album that I can think of that one can 'maybe' compare this album to is Brian Eno's "Another Green World."  Melchior does not sound like Eno, but only in the sense that they share a great love of melody within what we think is an experimental music context.  Perhaps Melchior is more of a Morricone than an Eno.  I also admire the cover painting he did for the album cover.  I suspect that there is a visual element in his work, or he works things sonically that can convey a visual to a listener. 

No comments:

Post a Comment