Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

David Bowie - "Lady Stardust demo" b/w "Crystal Japan" Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single, Picture Disc , Japan, Limited Edition (Parlophone)


I bought this rarity at the right moment and time.  It was at the V&A "David Bowie Is" exhibition that took place in Tokyo in 2017.  I was like a child going to Disneyland for the first time. I was extremely excited to go to this exhibition to see or feel David Bowie, which was tragically taken away from us in this natural world.   The exhibition overall was fantastic, but the curating I felt could have been stronger.  The placement of the outfits I thought was wrong, and I hate the multi-media aspect of such an exhibition.  As I walked through the show, I kept a mental list of where I should place that item or costume in the exhibition.  But again, that was also part of the fun of such a show.  The gift shop, on the other hand, was a total joy, even though not everything was equal in its worthiness.  Still, I did purchase a picture disc 45 rpm single of a demo of "Lady Stardust" and an obscure instrumental that Bowie did during the "Low"/"Heroes" era, for a Japanese water or was it a sake commercial?  Nevertheless, a remarkable piece of music.  It could easily fit on side-two of the "Heroes" album.  Electronic in nature, but it had a slight Asian or Japanese approach to the melody as well.  

"Lady Stardust" is neither better or worse than the recorded version of the song on the Ziggy album.  It's just another layer of paint or texture one wants to bath themselves in the greatness of that song as well as sharing a few moments of worship on one's time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment