Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Maurice Ravel - Charles Munch, Boston Symphony Orchestra ‎– Daphnis And Chloe (RCA Victor Red Seal, Vinyl, Mono)


Maurice Ravel's "Daphnis and Chloe" gets the perfect packaging from the year 1955.  Although I have a very odd wrap on the vinyl, which gives the sound an extra dimension of weirdness, this is a superb piece of music by Ravel.   Charles Munch, and The Boston Symphony Orchestra does a brilliant job of stating the Ravel vision.   I found this album at The Last Bookstore in Downtown Los Angeles.  Lately I have been slightly obsessed with Ravel's "Bolero" due to my wife, Lun*na Menoh's recent performance of that piece.  So I had that in mind, but when I looked at the booklet that comes with this specific album, I was totally thrilled that the illustrations are done by a young Andy Warhol.  I, for one, really love Warhol's commercial work from the 1950's - and here you can see the influence of Jean Cocteau (with respect to his drawings) but it still has a strong Warhol feeling as well.  Delicate, and then you have the strong album cover image that was so typical of that era. Without a doubt worth the $14.99 price tag!





No comments:

Post a Comment