Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 3, 2020

The Marmalade -"Man In A Shop" b/w "Cry (The Shoob Doroorie Song)" 45 rpm Single, 1967 (Epic)


This 1967 recording of "Man In A Shop" by the British band Marmalade is my favorite record of the Trump Virus Year.   I rarely spend $10 for a single, but after hearing it on YouTube, I must have this record at any cost.  Perfection is mind-boggling when something so beautiful is in your presence.  The song is structurally textured with various melodies coming and leaving, but the hook that gets me is the backward electric guitar, trumpet, and chorus. There are two lead vocals and the song is arranged with immense skill and charm.  Parts of it remind me of early David Bowie (pre-Space Oddity) with the then-charm of baroque pop.  A fantastic record that hasn't left my turntable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment