Total Pageviews

Monday, January 9, 2017

Ennio Morricone "Quando L'Amore é Sensualita" Cerberus Records, 1982


Never seen the film, nor have I heard of it.  It's hard for me to pass an Ennio Morricone on vinyl when I see it used.   Once you put it on, it's clearly Morricone.  Which means, one can tell it a distinctive sound of how he uses piano, wordless vocals, and horns used as sound instruments.  I'm amazed at the range of his abilities to make music.  Not quite avant-garde, or musique concrete, but traces of that sound is on this album. 

Oddly, this soundtrack hasn't been reissued (as far as I know).  It's an incredible piece of work.  I find it odd that listening to it, I think of Brian Wilson era "Smile."  Wilson's sensibility in arrangements (especially in that time period of recording "Smile) matches the spirit of "Quando L' Amore é Sensualita.   Well, clearly the Morricone sound is more sinister.   

The first cut on side two "Luce Chiara Per Vergine "Curve Oscure," is a combination of pop, but in a very strange version of it.  This piece of music can easily fit into a current Scott Walker album.  I listen to this vinyl gem, and I can't imagine how he does it?  To call him a genius is somehow an underestimate of his creative worth.  Anyone who has even the slightest interest in composition or arranging needs to hear this album.  


No comments:

Post a Comment