Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Ennio Morricone - "Le Clan des Siciliens" Vinyl, LP, Album, OST, Reissue, 2010 (Vadim Music)


Listing a favorite Ennio Morricone original soundtrack album is impossible.  His burp is a symphony of brilliance, so to choose the various sounds he made, as the best, is like commenting that a sunny day is sunny.   On the other hand, "Le Clan des Siciliens" is my favorite Morricone, and on a good clear day for my thinking and feelings, the best album of them all.   It's basically one melody that lasts for an album-length, and it's a piece of music that I never tire of. 

For those who love melodies over Morricone's more avant-garde music awakenings will appreciate "Le Clan des Siciliens" for its lushness and very sad, yet distantly romantic yearning.  Which comes to mind is that I actually met Morricone.  I was working in a bookstore in West Hollywood, and he came in to shop before his appearance at the Academy Awards later that evening.  He was going to be rewarded for a lifetime Oscar for his music.   For one, I couldn't believe I was in the same room as Morricone.  One of the fellow employees, knowing that I was a huge fan, came up to me and dragged me to meet him.  Knowing that he spoke very little English, I decided to say something grand but true to my feelings. I told him that when I die, I want the music at my funeral to be the main melody of "Le Clan des Siciliens."  He looked at me slowly and with no expression on his face said "You don't have to die."  He then whistled the entire theme of "Le Clan des Siciliens" which took about a minute or so, I think, because time stood still.  After he finished, he reached out to my hand to shake it and said: "see you don't have to die."   I look at this brief meeting as fate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment