Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Boris Vian by Claude Vence - "Je Voudrais pas crever"



Boris Vian by Claude Vence - Je Voudrais pas crever
CD Album, France, 2005
EPM Musique


In my typical fashion I am attracted to an album of Boris Vian’s poetry, in French, a language I don’t speak or understand but put to music by Claude Vence.   It seems it is a class French move to add music  to poetry. it is not uncommon to run upon music with Rimbaud, Baudelaire and of course Jacques Prevert - so why not Vian?


I found this CD  at a bookshop in Saint-Germain-des-Prés, and I bought it without knowing what it was, except it had the words “Boris Vian” and that was reason enough to exchange some euros for this product.   Nevertheless an enjoyable listen, and all the words are from Vian’s classic book of poetry Je Voudrais Pas Crever.  I know nothing of Claude Vence, but his music is lively, tuneful and the arrangements are tasteful and very textured, which I imagine would mix well with Vian’s words.





No comments:

Post a Comment