Total Pageviews

Monday, November 26, 2018

The Quick - "Mondo Deco" Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, 2009/1976 (Radio Heartbeat)



My introduction to The Quick came about due to the writer (and filmmaker, among other things) Dennis Cooper, who in his magazine of the 1970s, "Little Caeser," raved about this band and their debut album "Mondo Deco."   Whenever Dennis recommends a writer, film, or music, one should pay attention.  On the other hand, due to my nature, I pretty much ignored The Quick when they existed, and only became interested in them this past four weeks.  I tracked down their album, purchased it, and find myself loving the music.

Since I'm a lover of Sparks (the band, or Ron and Russell Mael), I was put off with the sound of The Quick being very close to the sound of the Mael brothers.  I remember feeling the same way about the band Japan sounding too much like Roxy Music.   Their similarities are there for sure, and obviously influenced by the parent bands, but both Japan and The Quick have their own vibe.  With respect to The Quick, and since I was semi-raised in the San Fernando Valley, I sense that region's aesthetic on the band.  Sparks are a hard band to pin down on the map, but The Quick is for sure are American, and there is nothing more American than a teenager in the Valley. 

The songwriter for the band is guitarist Steven Hufsteter, who on this album, has an understanding of what makes a song happen concerning melody and a catchy chorus.  I don't see how its possible for one not to hum "Hillary," or "No No Girl" while taking a shower or being moody in a bathtub.  The other highlight is "Anybody," which is catchy as heaven, and then it goes into this crazed Yardbirds-style rave-up that's magnificent.  Incredible drum sound, maracas, and chaos.  Yet contained in that catchy melody.   Hufsteter is also a great guitarist, and the arrangements tend to the sound of his guitars, the drums (Danny Benair) and voice of Danny Wilde.  And Billy Bizeau's Ron Mael like minimalism on the piano, and bassist Ian Ainsworth.  Also, I think there is a robust Cheap Trick influence on the band as well.   Earle Mankey produced the album, along with Kim Fowley (hmm) and Mankey who was a member of Halfnelson (Sparks) does give that early Sparks' sound to the mix.   An enjoyable album.  


No comments:

Post a Comment