Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 27, 2019

Giles, Giles and Fripp - "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp" Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, 1968/2013 (Cherry Red Records)


My strange obsession this year (so far) is my appreciation for King Crimson.  The love of this band came out of the blue, and I suspect that I was just bored as well.   I bought the first five albums by King Crimson, and although some I like more than others, it is an exciting era of music making by Robert Fripp and company.  I have always heard of Fripp's first recording but thought it might be a tad weird for my taste.  Alas, I was wrong, and again, it took me decades to finally own and listen to this album.  I have heard about it since the early 1970s.  

Peter Giles and his brother Michael, along with Robert Fripp were a trio band but sounded nothing like a power trio.   What they were was jazzy, British music hall, and in certain degrees baroque pop. They are supported by strings as well as keyboards by Nicky Hopkins and organist Mike Hill.  Giles, Giles, & Fripp were also tuneful songwriters, and even at this moment, I have some of their melodies going through my head.   The album also has running humorous narratives that are very twee, kind of funny, and reminds me a bit of The Small Faces' side two of Odgens' Nut Gone Flake."  

Listening to the album, one does not think the next project would be "In The Court of The Crimson King."  It is similar to listening to Bowie's early recordings that lead up to Ziggy and noticing the huge leaps of musical changes.  However, on the surface, it seems Fripp and company made a huge giant step into another world with King Crimson.  Although I do admire and like Crimson, I think I prefer Giles, Giles, & Fripp.  Fripp's guitar playing is exceptional throughout the album, and all three songwriters in the group have a similar aesthetic that they share.  A good balance.  For those who like the slightly obscure sounds coming out of music in 1968 will like this, as well as fans of The Kinks "Village Green," and the eccentric aspects of the Bonzo Dog Band.  

No comments:

Post a Comment