Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Alain Goraguer - "J'irai Cracher sur vos Tombes" OST, Vinyl, 7" 45 rpm EP, 1959 (Philips)


I have a bit of history with Alain Goraguer, in the sense that I published with my press TamTam Books, J'irai cracher sur vos Tombes (I Spit on Your Graves) by Boris Vian.  Vian had a love and hated relationship with this book due that he got into much trouble with the law on this title, as well as loathing the film version of his novel.  Also, the fact that he died during the screening of this film, sort of makes this a cursed book/film.  Still, and even Vian agreed, Alain Goraguer is a fantastic musician and composer.  

I had the music as a download for years but had a hard time finding the original edition of this classic.  Until I found a copy at HMV in Shinjuku Tokyo.   In pretty great condition, and with a price of around $30, I purchased this piece of history.   The EP is approximately 10 minutes long, with six pieces, but an essential work by Goraguer.   

His most famous work in the English speaking world is his electronic soundtrack to the animated film "La Planète Sauvage," but sadly it ends there with most listeners of that work.  Goraguer is a jazz pianist who also played and arranged the early Serge Gainsbourg records of the 50s,  as well as working with  YéYé teenage acts of the 1960s.  Throughout that decade up to the 80s, he worked on with other French artists and wrote and performed various soundtracks, including adult films.  Whenever I see his name on the record label, either as artist, arranger, or his orchestra, I pick it up and never am I disappointed with the music or recording. 

Goraguer also wrote songs with Boris Vian, and it is probably due to this relationship that he composed the score to "I Spit on Your Graves."   A haunting melody, it is a perfect film writing score that shows all of Goraguer's strength as a composer and artist. 



No comments:

Post a Comment