Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Bob Lind - "Don't Be Concerned" Vinyl LP Mono


Bob Lind – Don't Be Concerned
Vinyl LP Mono, US, 1966
World Pacific

As an 11-year-old, I could care less about “Elusive Butterfly” which was pretty much tattooed on AM radio during 1966. Now that I am 63, I can't get enough of Bob Lind and this album. For one, I always loved Marianne Faithfull's version of “Counting” not realizing it was a Lind song. I bought this album only because, for at the last ten years, I became a fanatic Jack Nitzsche fan. Noticing that he produced and arranged this album – well, I had to give the Bob Lind world a more serious listen. But I was warned about the upcoming storm due to Jarvis Cocker and Pulp's recording of a song “Bob Lind.” So to me being the ultimate Pulp and Nitzsche fan, it was time for me to dive into the pool of Don't Be Concerned.

The first thing that strikes me is the delicate arrangements that cling to Lind's music and voice. Nitzsche just had the talent to take a piece of music and make it better. The beauty of a song like “Counting” which moves in a pattern that reminds me of (Buzzcocks) Pete Shelley's circular list songs – it moves in circles that strikes me mechanical, but that is what makes it such a great song – both the Lind and Faithfull's version. The other great song is “Cheryl's Goin' Home” which is incredible.

The pleasure I get from Lind is the tension or the marriage of his folkish background meeting the pop master's (Nitzsche) approach, which equals a sweet little 'wow' for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment