Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

John Cale - "Fear" Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, 2015/1974 (Wax Cathedral)


When John Cale left Velvet Underground, I lost track of him. It wasn't until  1974 when he released his first album "Fear" on Island Records that I became aware of him again.  I did notice that Cale made solo albums before "Fear," but never paid much attention to them.  It may be that I was totally focused on Lou Reed, thinking that he was the Velvets in all name and practice.  That of course, is wrong, and due to my young teen years, almost forgivable.  "Fear" is great.  

In the years 1973/1974, for me, it was the glory time of Roxy Music and all of its outshoots.  Eno was making incredible albums, and I like all the solo work by Phil Manzanera and Andy MacKay as well. And of course, there were both Roxy and Bryan Ferry albums as well.  Fun times at the record shop.  Someone at Island had the grand idea to promote a Roxy world by adding Kevin Ayers, Nico, and of course, John Cale to their label.  Eno and Manzanera are listed as executive producers, which means to me that they pushed the label into signing Cale, but also a big part of the sound that is on this album.

"Fear" is a very stark album, with the mix high on Cale's voice and minimal backing, in a sense it is never busy.  The right sounds at the right places.   When I listen to this album, I think of Procol Harum's great albums on A&M around the same time.  I can't say if they were an influence on Cale, or he admired them or not, but I hear Gary Brooker (the lead honcho in Harum) presence on "Fear."  The thing about Cale he comes with the baggage of the noisy aspect of the Velvets, or experimental/orchestration, but he is also a very much disciplined and well-crafted songwriter. "You Know More Than I Know," "Buffalo Ballet," and "Emily" are excellent songwriter type of songs. "Fear" and "Gun" is more of the sonic "kaboom" of Cale.  "Gun" especially, which I have to presume it's Eno making the guitar sounds through his various methods of genius tools at the time.   An inspiring album made in an exciting place with exciting musicians.  A highlight for Cale and the Eno/Manzanera world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment