Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Les Rita Mitsouko - "The No Comprendo" CD, Album, France, 1987 (Virgin)


In 1987, I was visiting my friend Erik Blum in his studio in Los Angeles, and he played this album by Les Rita Mitsouko, and I was immediately transformed into a  hardcore fan.  At the time, or that first listening experience, I thought to myself T Rex meets Sparks, but singing in French.   It's a very confining album made by a couple, who were totally self-contained.  And with help and assistance from Tony Visconti.   Somehow a friend of mine made me a VHS tape of their videos off this album, and that was another little explosion that went off in my body. I must have been the only person in the United States that had a copy of all their videos at the time.  I have never seen such a visually appealing and seductive band like Les Rita Mitsouko.  In two words: Catherine Ringer.

Ringer is what one would call "the real deal."  She's the gift that keeps on giving.  I want to say she resembles or perhaps even influenced by Edith Piaf, but that's wrong.  I think she is even better than Piaf!  This woman can walk across a room and cause an emotional riot within me.  For me, she represents everything that is good regarding a musician and the perfect set of songs.  "No Comprendo" is perfection as practiced by a skilled duo (with her husband the late and great Frank Chichin) with the right attitude, and performance (of what I have seen on numerous live videos) that is perfectly made out of our elements.  She's too good to walk among us, humans!

"No Comprendo" is a combination of chanson and synth-pop, with rock overtures.  Catherine and Frank played most of the instruments, with the help of Visconti, and Ringer's vocals are exceptionally heartbreaking, fun, and of course, erotic.  Ringer, who worked with Sparks and told Serge Gainsbourg to fuck off is clearly a hero of mine.   Why Ringer is not the biggest star in the English speaking world is beyond my brain.   In three words:  I love her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment