Total Pageviews

Monday, August 14, 2017

Olivier Messiaen - "Méditations sur le Mystère de la Sainte Trinité" 2 x Vinyl, Album, LP, 1974 (Musical Heritage Society)






I wanted to find the heaviest organ sounding album possible, and I believe I found it:  Oliver Messiaen's "Méditations" with him playing the organ at the Church of Sainte Trinité.  Messiaen is a composer that I know very little of but wasn't much of a laughing guy. This is meditation in the religious sense, where one focuses on the nature of a God in a church and reflecting on the offshoots of such a belief.  Think St. Thomas Aquinas. 

On the other hand, I get off on Messiaen's organ playing and the majestic overpowering sense of power out of his instrument and his skill as a composer.  It's not all bombast and power, there are quiet moments as well, but having this album in full volume is clearly a tunnel from one side (my home and turntable)  to God.  



No comments:

Post a Comment