Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Beatles - "Revolver" Vinyl LP, Mono




The Beatles – Revolver
Vinyl LP, Mono, 1966
Capital Records

The emotional favorite for a lot of Beatle fans, but for me there are few surprises on this album anymore. The only songs that are fresh to me is “She Said She Said” and “Tomorrow Never Knows.”
Also keep in mind that there are no bad songs on this album, even “Yellow Submarine” is imaginative and witty. But, this is one of the few albums where I can just look at the cover and all the songs come to mind – recording, voices, just everything. Most of the Beatles albums have that affect on me. I grew up with them, and after awhile I just say 'ta-ta.'

But the funk of “Tax Man” and the two Lennon songs still give me that goose-bump feeling in the back of my neck. Also this is a very sophisticated album with respect to where they were two years ago when they recorded this material. It is kind of amazing to me that bands or artists these days make an album every four or five years or even longer, and it basically has the same sound as their last album. But The Beatles changed so radically over their career, that what they did was really unique. Beatles For Sale turns to Rubber Soul and then Revolver. How did that happen?

If someone came up to me and told me that Revolver is the greatest album ever made, I wouldn't disagree. But funny enough the visuals of this album is stronger than actually listening to the record. Similar to Proust eating that cookie that brought up memories, this album does the same for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment