Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas - "The Definitive Collection" CD




Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas – The Definitive Collection
CD Compilation, U.S., 1991
EMI Records

I was first introduced to the world of Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas on the American TV show “Shindig,” which was to me the first music show focusing on cool music. The next time I saw them was on the first concert film T.A.M.I. And I was deeply impressed with them, because there was nothing macho about Billy or his band.

There 'no style' appealed to me at the time, and I was crazy in love with the song “Little Children.” Although not mysterious one bit, but to my imagination the song had sinister overtures, and the melody was so seductive. It was reeking evil to me, yet when I look at Kramer's face it is pure innocence. So the tension between his innocence and what I heard that sounded evil was pure bliss for me.

One can't find a better compilation of Billy's hits on one CD. Is he an important artist? No. But he is the link between The Beatles and that era, and that alone is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment