Total Pageviews

Friday, July 5, 2013

April March - "Chick Habit" CD Mini-Album


April March – Chick Habit
CD Mini-Album, USA, 1995
Sympathy For The Record Industry

I ran into this album in 1995 in Tokyo at the Roppongi Wave Music store, which sadly doesn't exist anymore. I saw it displayed in the listening section. As I was hearing it I thought 'what a perfect ye-ye recording. And without a doubt I thought she was a figure from Paris via 1960s. But when I got home in Los Angeles I found out to my shock, that the record label was only five miles away from my house, and that April was... American! After that slight disappointment of buying music in Japan that was made walkable distance from my home in Los Angeles, I focused on the music itself. I couldn't drag the music off my CD machine at the time. What she conveyed to me was a perfect world – a world of my imagination of course.

The production, the voice, the singing – not only from the era of France 60's but even better for some odd reason. April covers Gainsbourg among others, and she truly makes the music her own. Chick Habit is one of the ingredients in my life that lead me to do two books that are Gainsbourg related for my press TamTam.


No comments:

Post a Comment