Total Pageviews

Friday, June 23, 2017

Pierre Henry - "Le Voyage" Vinyl, LP, Album, 1962/2013 (Doxy)


For the past two years, I have been picking up albums by Pierre Henry.  I have a fascination with the nature of electronic music or Musique Concréte.  The 'noise' have called out for me, and it's a hard habit to break.  "Le Voyage" is a big Henry project.  I believe it's music with dance choreographed by Maurice Béjart.  I know very little of this piece except that it's based on The Tibetian Book of the Dead, and it represents from birth to death.  Seems like a topical subject matter for a ballet and its score. 
As far as my ear can tell this is music that is entirely electronic.  No organic sounds processed through electronic means, but machines manipulated by Henry making music.   Some parts are almost ambient but with an intensity where you can't really ignore the music.  Toward the end, it becomes a majestic piece of noise that's an incredible ear wash.  I listened to this vinyl in a room with a very high ceiling, and the music just encaptures the landscape that is the room.  I don't know who Doxy is, although I suspect that this record company takes advantage of copyright laws in Europe. Still, they do a great job in curating album titles with great sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment